This Site is in Donegal. This stone sculpture is one of two which flank a high cross (DG011-035009-), a National Monument in state ownership (no. 271).
The high cross, and the two stone sculptures were moved to this location to protect them from erosion. The original location of these monuments, indicated as 'Cross' on the 1836 and 1903 OS 6-inch maps, is recorded under the numbers: DG011-035005-; DG011-035007-; DG011-035008-.
Two prostrate stones lie within 50m of a pair of standing stones (KE043-213----) and within 20m of a tall standing stone (KE043-215----), on gently sloping pastureland on the N side of Dingle Harbour. The W stone measures 3.25m x 1.4m x .5m thick and bears no markings. The 2nd stone measures 4.2m x 1.25m x .6m thick. On its sloping E face the decoration, with the exception of a single cup-and-circle, is confined to the broad N end.
This monument is not on the Dingle Peninsula, but is not far from the famous Staigue Fort, on the Iveragh Peninsula.
You can find more information about the site on this page of the Staige Fort House web site, with thanks to Aoibheann Lambe for the content: (staiguefort.com/archaeology/rock-art/)
This large boulder has been cleared from its earthfast position as recorded by Finlay (1973, 12-3), and lay for a time, decorated face downwards, beside the field fence to W. It has now been righted and the markings have suffered somewhat from the moves.
This large boulder, 1.78m x 1m x .25m thick, has been decorated at either side of its smooth upper surface with a cup-and-3 circles.
Beside the E design is a small cup-and-circle with a possible outer circle. The long, linear groove extending NW from the E cup-and-3 circles also appears to be artificial.
The stone straddles the low remains of a disused field wall and, if in its original position, suggests an Early Bronze Age or earlier date for the field system. However, it may well have been removed from elsewhere for reuse in the wall.
Townland: KNOCKGLASS MORE
Scheduled for inclusion in the next revision of the RMP: Yes
This irregularly-shaped boulder formerly lay on the strand at the base of the low cliffs that border the S side of Tralee Bay (see KE037-084----).
It is very likely that the stone may have fallen to this position from the land above due to erosion of this area by the sea.
In August 1982, during land development work, 2 boulders, both with cup-and-circle motifs, were discovered under about .2m of soil in a fairly level field on the E side of the valley that extends NE from Dingle Town. Both have now been placed against the S field boundary.