Kilshannig Church and Graveyard/Cill Seanaigh: This site lies near the shoreline on the E side of Scraggane Bay, at the tip of the Magharees Peninsula. It is traditionally associated with St. Senach, as is the early church site on nearby Illauntannig (KE019-002001-), and the present irregularly-shaped graveyard may enclose the site of an Early Christian foundation. However, the cross-slab that stands within the church is the only visible remnant of the latter. About 350m along the seashore to N, there is a large boulder, Cloch an Turais, which was formerly a place of pilgrimage on Good Fridays (An Seabhac 1939, 267).
Cross-slab (KE027-002003-): Stands directly W of the doorway but formerly occupied the NW corner of the church (Henry 1937, 275) and its original position is not known. The stone stands 1.42m tall and is a maximum of .42m wide and .26m thick. Both faces are inscribed with Latin crosses with expanded terminals. The cross on the S face terminates with a spiral elaboration at its base, and a little crescent or loop, to right of the head of the cross, represents the chi-rho symbol. Part of the W side and top of the stone have broken away and the head and right arm of the cross on the N face are missing.
The above description is derived from J. Cuppage, ‘Corca Dhuibhne. Dingle Peninsula archaeological survey. Ballyferriter. Oidhreacht Chorca Dhuibhne’ (1986), no. 858. In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.