Description: Templenacloonagh/Teampall na Cluanach:
Sub-rectangular enclosure KE042-113001- lies on a very gentle WNW facing slope and commands a good clear view in all directions, particularly NW to Smerwick Harbour.
Within it can be seen the remains of an oratory, a 2nd building which is possibly a church, and 2 possible hut sites.
Originally from the monastic site at An Riasc, this stone, ‘Stone E’ in the Riasc excavation report (T. Fanning, PRIA 81C No. 3, 1981), had been removed to Adare Manor c. 1855 and is currently on display in Músaem Chorca Dhuibhne (www.westkerrymuseum.com).
'This...stone was removed to Adare Manor, Co. Limerick, c. 1855 and until recently stood in the manor grounds. Through the kind offices of Lord and Lady Dunraven it has now been transferred back to Reask and re-erected on the site just south of stone A [REASK/1]...it would appear from the manuscripts of John Windele...[that the stone is] represented on the first edition of the O.S. 6 inch map for the area...[from] the 1830s'.
Reask Stone B is a sandstone slab standing at the entrance to the oratory and is part of the ceallunach enclosure. This stone is 0.8metres in height, 0.4 metres wide and 0.2 metres thick. It is decorated with a large Latin cross with bifurcated terminals. Above the cross is horizontal bar also with bifurcated terminals and on the upper sides of the cross are inscribed two smaller crosses.
Located on the S side of the pathway leading through the graveyard to the church. It stands 2.5m high at present but while excavating a nearby grave it was noted that at least 6 feet (1.8m) of the shaft was buried beneath the present ground surface (local information). The ENE face is undecorated, but on the WNW face the shaft continues through the crossing as a raised panel within which is a 2nd rectangular raised panel. The above description is derived from J. Cuppage, ‘Corca Dhuibhne. Dingle Peninsula archaeological survey. Ballyferriter.
The Early Christian and Medieval ecclesiastical complex at Kilmalkedar (KE042-026----) lies at the foot of the W slopes of Reenconnell hill, overlooking Smerwick Harbour.
The Reenconnell ridge peaks at 907 feet/276m to NE of the site and the area around Kilmalkedar is sheltered on its N and S sides by spurs of this hill.