SMR
DG011-035010-
Site

This Site is in Donegal. This stone sculpture is one of two which flank a high cross (DG011-035009-), a National Monument in state ownership (no. 271). The high cross, and the two stone sculptures were moved to this location to protect them from erosion. The original location of these monuments, indicated as 'Cross' on the 1836 and 1903 OS 6-inch maps, is recorded under the numbers: DG011-035005-; DG011-035007-; DG011-035008-. The following description is derived from the Archaeological Survey of County Donegal. A description of the field antiquities of the County from the Mesolithic Period to the 17th century. Compiled by: Brian Lacey with Eamon Cody, Claire Cotter, Judy Cuppage, Noel Dunne, Vincent Hurley, Celie O'Rahilly, Paul Walsh and Seán ÓNualláin (Lifford: Donegal County Council, 1983): The Carndonagh complex (National Monument number 271) is the site of one of the main early ecclesiastical centres in Donegal. It consists of a modern graveyard (DG011-035007-) surrounding the 18th-century Church of Ireland church. At the NE corner of the graveyard but outside it on the roadside is a group of carved stones consisting of a cross (DG011-035009-) flanked on each side by a stele [stone sculpture], one to the N (DG011-035011-) and the other to the S (DG011-035010-). Each [of the stone sculptures] is c. 0.8m high and c. 0.3m square. Each face of both stones is decorated. S stone (DG011-035011-) (illustrated): N face; an animal-headed figure with 'two discs and a hammer' (Henry 1965,130); E face, an ecclesiastical figure with crossed arms holding a bell and a book with a crozier horizontally beneath; W face, a face near the top of the pillar; S face, a human head emerging from a fish's mouth. The two pillar stones and the cross are situated on a modern plinth which incorporates a flat-topped boulder 1.5m x 1.3m. The cross is set in a rectangular socket in this boulder. Information from www.archaeology.ie

Carn Domhnach (Carndonagh)


Site recorded by Helene Brennan
Megalithic Ireland link