Ballintaggart church (KE053-033001-) (site of) and old burial ground (KE053-033002-) /An Cheallúnach or An Lisín: This circular enclosure crowns the summit of a low, but prominent, hillock between Dingle Harbour and Trabeg.
Nine ogham stones have been collected from various locations (not precisely located) in the vicinity of the site and are now arranged in a circle within the enclosure. This rounded boulder, with flattened upper and lower surfaces, is 1.05m long and, as on the other stones, the ogham inscription follows an imaginary stem-line along its sides. It reads: TRIA MAQA MAILAGNI CURCITTI.
Macalister noted a difference in the technique of execution between the first 3 and 4th words, and suggested that two separate inscriptions were involved; this difference is not however particularly evident. The upper face of the stone bears an unusual cross motif. The ends of the side arms take the form of a trident or 3-pronged fork, the arms themselves forming the middle prong. A short cross-bar directly below the end of the upper arm gives the impression of a small cross here. (Cuppage 1986, no. 820, no. 1)
This stone has been studied as part of the ‘Ogham in 3D’ project undertaken by the School of Celtic Studies, Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies. To access details go to the following website: https://ogham.celt.dias.ie/search.php?ciic=160
Compiled by: Nora White
Date of upload: 25 October 2016
* 1. Cuppage, J. 1986 Corca Dhuibhne. Dingle Peninsula archaeological survey. Ballyferriter. OidhreachtChorca Dhuibhne.
* 2. Devane, C. 2001 An ogam-inscribed stone in Ballintaggart. Peritia 15, 369-72.
* 3. Macalister, R.A.S. 1945 Corpus inscriptionuminsularumcelticarum. Dublin. Stationery Office.
* 4. McManus, D. 1997 A guide to ogam. Maynooth: Monographs 4. Maynooth. An Sagart.