This site lies in the N corner of a field at the foot of the E slopes of Croaghmarhin, about 400m E of An Raingiléis (KE042-094001-). The focal point of the site was probably the holy well (KE042-100001-) and cross-slab (KE042-100002-), and the mounds and slabs laid on edge in the irregularly-shaped area between these and the field walls are probably the remains of penitential stations (KE042-100001-).
Rounds were still being made here at the beginning of this century (Curran no. 16), but the practice had died out by 1960 (Ó Danachair, 75).
An underground passage was discovered in an adjacent field c. 1930 (O'Sullivan 1931, 524).
The well was described by Ó Danachair as 'a good spring well with some rough drystone work' but it is now dry. Its covering slab is still in situ and the hollow in front of this may be the dried up bed of the stream which flowed from it (OSNB Marhin, 16).
The cross-slab (KE042-100002-) stands on the W side of this hollow and is .94m high, .68m wide and .13 to .17m thick.
The decoration on its E face consists of a plain cross within an irregular oval, with a small plain cross occupying each of the quadrants; the lower left cross is barely traceable. Short notches project beyond the circle on either side of the side and lower arms of the cross; there may have been a notch above the upper arm also but this area is now much eroded and it is not possible to be certain.
Two unusual cross motifs occur beneath the circle, one with up-turned arms, resembling a triple-branched candelabrum, the other with down-turned arms and a small dot in the angles between arms and shaft. It is possible that these symbolise the good and bad thieves crucified with Christ.
The above description is derived from J. Cuppage (compiler) 'Corca Dhuibhne. Dingle Peninsula archaeological survey.' Ballyferriter. Oidhreacht Chorca Dhuibhne (1986), no. 828, as used by www.archaeology.ie.