Located c. 100m E of the Staigue river, close to Staigue
bridge, this large section of rock outcrop, 13m x 10m, was stripped
of three to four feet (c. 1m) of peat in the 1830s (Graves 1877,
284—5). The weathered surface slopes upwards to SE, but most
of the decoration occurs on the fairly level S end of the rock,
within an area measuring 2.5m x 2m.
Flanking both sides of a complex of cup-and-ring motifs and linear grooves in this area are two large rings with an average diameter of .45m; one features a central cupmark while the other encloses four.
Most of the remaining ornament is enclosed within a network of grooves and consists of thirteen cup-and-rings, two cup-and-two rings and twenty-two cupmarks. Some of the cupmarks punctuate the ends of grooves. A number of the cup-and-rings feature radial grooves, a few of them terminating in cupmarks. The decoration continues intermittently to N, down the rock's surface, and consists of long curving grooves and cup-and-rings.
The above description is derived from A. O'Sullivan and J. Sheehan (compilers), 'The Iveragh peninsula: an archaeological survey of South Kerry'. Cork University Press (1996), no. 353. In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
This discription is taken from the entry for Liss Rock Art on the web page webgis.archaeology.ie/historicenvironment