An Chloch Naofa
The Holy Stone: Now lying on the road side at the top of Main Street in Dingle Town. This is a large, irregularly-shaped boulder, measuring 3.48m long x from .87 to .75m wide, with 7 large circular or oval cup-marks or basin-like depressions on its upper surface.
The 2 smallest depressions are .08 to .12m in diameter and about .02 to .03m deep. The remainder range from .16 to .28m in diameter and from .5 to .13m deep. A channel runs to the edge of the stone from two of the depressions.
One of the traditions surrounding the stone connects it with the catholic church which stood in nearby Chapel Lane from 1702 to 1812; the depressions were used for holding holy water (McKenna 1979, 2-3). Rounds were also reputedly made at the stone (OSNB Dingle, book 2, 23).
Another tradition is that it once formed part of the complex of standing stones and rock art at Milltown (KE043-213----) (Macalister 1898b, 164).
The above description is derived from J. Cuppage, 'Corca Dhuibhne. Dingle Peninsula archaeological survey. Ballyferriter. Oidhreacht Chorca Dhuibhne' (1986), no. 966. In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.