Dunmore/An Dún Mór: This large headland, rising 328 feet/100m OD, projects W into the Blasket Sound at the extreme W tip of the Dingle Peninsula.
An ogham stone stands upright on the summit of the headland. This lay prostrate when first recorded (Windele 1838, 153), but was subsequently re-erected (Chatterton 1839, 187). It stands 2m high and is .45m wide x c. 0.3m thick. The inscription reads: ERC MAQI MAQI-ERCIAS (MU) DOVINI(A). The second last word, as recorded by Macalister (1945, 171), is now unclear. The final A is not visible either, but is included in most earlier accounts. Westropp (1910, 291) suggests that Dunmore may have been a place of ritual, a sanctuary of the goddess Duibhne.
The above description is derived from J. Cuppage, ‘Corca Dhuibhne. Dingle Peninsula archaeological survey. Ballyferriter. Oidhreacht Chorca Dhuibhne’ (1986), no. 268.
This stone has been studied as part of the ‘Ogham in 3D’ project undertaken by the School of Celtic Studies, Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies. To access details go to the following website: http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/search.php?ciic=178
Updated by: Paul Walsh
Revised date of upload: 2 January 2015
This monument is subject to a preservation order made under the National Monuments Acts 1930 to 2014 (PO no. 1/2004).